Still Need A New Year’s Resolution? How about Giving Up Facebook and be WAY Happier, Says Science
The dirty truth about Facebook. A new study from Denmark shows how negative the Facebook effect really is.
This experiment was conducted on 1095 people in Denmark. Half of the participants were randomly assigned to the following task: do not use Facebook for one week.
After one week without Facebook people reported:
• Significantly higher level of life satisfaction
• Increase in their social activity
• Increase in their satisfaction with their social life
• Feeling happier
• Feeling less sad
• Feeling less lonely
• Feeling more present in the moment
• Feeling less stressed
• Less concentration difficulties
THE REASON: FACEBOOK ENVY!
• 5 out of 10 envy the “amazing” experiences of others posted on Facebook
• 1 out of 3 envy how “happy” other people seem on Facebook
• 4 out of 10 envy the apparent “success” of others on Facebook
“Instead of focusing on what we actually need, we have an unfortunate tendency to focus on what other people have”. Social media is a non-stop great news channel. A constant flow of edited lives which distorts our perception of reality.” The Happiness Research Institute