How much is too much standing? That is Individual, he says. “Young, fit guard soldiers may stand for a long time, but even they need to take regular short walks. Older unfit people with diseases may not be able to stand so long. Prolonged standing should be undertaken with caution.
Here are some takeaways from the expert:
Standing and working:
• Reduces risk of weight gain and obesity.
• Lowers risk of heart disease and cancer (Prolonged sitting is considered to be one of the largest cancer risk factors (mostly colon and breast cancer). Helps lower risk of type 2 diabetes and other metabolic diseases.
• Lowers long-term mortality risk and risk of early death.
• Help ease or reduce chronic back pain, increase energy levels and improve mood.
• Standing while working boosts productivity.
• More tiring, especially for unfit people.
• Increased risk of varicose veins.
• More strain on the circulatory system and on the legs and feet.
• May need to raise the computer screen height to avoid leaning forward.
• May give greater wrist extension, increasing the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Read the full original article on Gulf News