1. Only go to bed when sleepy. Bear in mind being sleepy is not the same thing as being tired. It is important to be aware of this difference.
2. Use the bed only for sleep and sexual activity. Do not engage in sleep-incompatible activity in bed such as eating snacks, watching TV or working.
3. If after about 10 minutes you are unable to fall asleep or awaken, leave the bed and go to another room. Then return to bed and repeat as often as necessary until you do fall asleep. It is important to not watch the clock while doing this. It is your subjective estimate of time that is important.
4. Keep a regular morning rise time no matter how much sleep you got the night before. This will help regularize the circadian (24 hour) schedule and if you don’t sleep well one night, the drive to sleep will be higher the following night.
5. Avoid napping. This prevents reducing sleep drive earlier in the day that can make it harder to fall asleep at night.
Living in Dubai and suffering from insomnia or sleep disorders? We show you how to have a better sleep. But be aware, its actual work! Every third person in the UAE has at least once suffered from sleep disorders. A healthy sleep is essential for our physical and mental well being.