Stroke and heart attack (cardiovascular disease) are the most common causes of death worldwide. Stroke is the second most common single cause of death in Europe. Moreover CVD are the most common cause of disability worldwide. Most importantly over 80% of all strokes are preventable by life style adjustments.
• Each year cardiovascular disease (CVD) causes 3.9 million deaths in Europe.
• CVD accounts for 45% of all deaths in Europe.
• CVD is the main cause of death in men in all but 12 countries of Europe and is the main cause of death in women in all but two countries.
• CVD is responsible for the loss of more than 64 million DALYs (disability-adjusted life years) in Europe.
• CVD is estimated to cost the EU economy €210 billion a year.
Reference: Here the full report of the European Heart Network